507.20 Student Safety
The safety of students while within the district’s care shall be assured through close supervision of students while they are on district property for school-related purposes and while they are away from district property for school-related purposes.
Each attendance center’s principal shall develop and implement procedures to ensure the following:
- Within their attendance centers, collaborate with district administrators to maintain a safe school environment. Safety experts, including local building inspectors, state regulatory agencies, and federal enforcement personnel may periodically inspect the physical condition of all buildings, vehicles, and grounds. Unless prohibited by law or policy, school personnel shall fully cooperate with said individuals during the course of their reviews and/or inspections.
- Monitor the school-related behavior of students and staff assigned to their attendance center to ensure safe practices, particularly in areas of instruction or extracurricular activities that offer special hazards.
- Ensure sufficient adult supervision of students at all times they are at the attendance center for school-related reasons and at all times they are away from district property for school-related reasons. This includes, but is not limited to, developing and ensuring the satisfactory implementation of plans for safe and appropriate adult supervision of students in locker rooms and restrooms including due to participation in extracurricular activities, during before- and after-school activities, on school-related field trips and excursions away from district property, in non-traditional classroom settings such as outdoor classrooms and/or music classrooms, and at school-related dances and social events.
- Offer safety education to students as germane to particular subjects as science laboratory courses, shop courses, and health and physical education courses.
- Provide, through the services of the school nurse, first aid care for students in case of accident or sudden illness.
- Encourage all students and staff to report unknown individuals observed loitering on or near district buildings and/or seated in parked automobiles by the buildings. Instruct staff to notify the principal/designee of suspicious individuals so the principal/designee can notify the police, if warranted.
- Ensure staff instruct students not to accept gifts or automobile rides from individuals unknown to them and to inform staff, their parents/guardians, police, and/or school patrols of any suspicious individuals.
- Direct staff to encourage students to report unsafe behavior that compromises the safety of the school environment.
September 9, 2009
June 16, 2014
June 17, 2019
November 18, 2021
December 21, 2009
June 16, 2014
June 17, 2019
December 21, 2021