New Student Enrollment Process
Welcome to Ankeny Community Schools! All students must be registered at the District Office prior to attending school.
Kindergarten registration for the following year starts in February with a kindergarten meeting. If you are looking to enroll a student(s) for the following school year, parents can begin the registration process beginning in May.
Please Note: The procedure to enroll your student may take 1-3 school days to complete. Sometimes it may be longer due to certain circumstances. Students may be able to start the following school day if the enrollment requirements are completed and the school grants permission. Please keep this in mind as you are making arrangements to enroll your student.
To register students who are new to the school district, please follow these steps:
1) If you are uncertain about which school district or which elementary/feeder area you reside in, contact the Registrar's Office - Sometimes it can be difficult to tell which elementary school or feeder system your child might attend, or even if you are in the Ankeny district. If you are having difficulty determining this information from the Polk County Assessor's maps, from the Ankeny Schools boundaries map, or the Address Look-Up Tool, you can contact the Registrar for assistance at:
Office hours: Monday - Friday 7:30 am- 4:00 pm
Due to enrollment shifts or programming needs (English learner, special education, etc), any newly enrolled elementary student(s) to the district may be assigned to a school which is not their neighborhood school. Please contact the registrar for more information and clarification.
2) Complete the online registration application and gather the correct documentation for enrollment. Even though most of the enrollment information will be entered online there will be a few forms and other documents that will still need to be submitted before moving forward with enrollment, so we recommend not waiting until the last moment.
- To begin the online registration process, start HERE. On the left hand side of the screen under REGISTRAR, you will find options for new and existing families. Please follow the registration checklist on the online registration site as a guide for the registration process.
- A complete list of the forms and necessary documents can be found on the Enrollment Requirements page. Each section includes links to the forms so you can print and fill them out for submission.
3) Once you have submitted your online registration, a follow up email will be sent once it has been approved by the District. Please submit any required and necessary documents via email, mail, or dropping off at the District Office. If the family would like to meet with the registrar, please contact the registrar's office via phone or email to set up an appointment.
4) Review - Once the online registraion is complete and items are submitted, the registrar will:
- Ensure the online registration application is complete and approved
- Ensure all paperwork and documents are submitted
- Enroll your child in our student information system
- Determine the student's school location based on primary address (and capacity at elementary level). You will be given information about your child's specific school.
- Will either be given or mailed an initial packet of school information
- Request the student's records from their previous school
5) After completing the enrollment process with the registrar, what happens next at your student's school:
Elementary Students (Grades K-5)
The registrar will notify the elementary building secretary and principal on the new student. The building will assign the student to a classroom and give a parent/guardian a call with this information prior to the student's first day. For students enrolling in the summer, teacher assignments will be released in early August prior to school beginning.
If you would like to set up a tour of the building once the student is enrolled, please coordinate with the elementary office.
Middle and High School Students (Grades 6-12)
Secondary students will need to meet with their school counselor to determine the appropriate class schedule before attending classes. Please contact your school guidance office to set up an appointment. ***All students in grades 9th-12th will need to have an unofficial transcript with them at the appointment. This helps the guidance counselor create a schedule and determine credits. (Please note that if the 9th grader is starting at the beginning of the year, no transcript is necessary unless the student has earned high school credits at their previous school.)
If you would like to set up a tour of the building once the student is enrolled, please coordinate with your guidance counselor or front office.
If you are registering in the summer, there will be back-to-school nights as well as orientation days at each building in August. Please watch your elementary or secondary school's website and online calendar for dates and information.
6) Additional information - After your child(ren) have been enrolled, you will begin to receive additional mailings from your school building as well as the District. You can also learn more about the district at the following links which are also located under the Parents tab on the horizontal navigation bar above:
For More Information
Please contact the district registrar at: