Starting Kindergarten is an exciting time for you and your child and we want the enrollment process to go as smoothly as possible for your family. To enroll in Kindergarten for the 2020-2021 school year a child must be 5 years of age on or before September 15, 2020.
Online Registration Opens February 3, 2020
Ankeny uses online registration (OLR) to register students. We hope you will find this process convenient and time-saving. Starting February 3, 2020 at 8 a.m. parents will be able to start enrolling their incoming kindergartner via online registration. DO NOT start or submit an online application until February 3rd. This is because online applications are submitted by school year and the 20-21 school year has to be available for families to choose.
Parents are encouraged to follow the registration process completely through to enroll their eligible kindergartener even if there is uncertainty that the child may not be ready. It is best to enroll your eligible kindergartener when registration starts and if parents/guardians decide at a later date that the child is not ready, one just has to email or call the Registrar to cancel the child's enrollment.
There are three ways to start the enrollment process on February 3. Please follow the corresponding number that best suits your family:
- New to the district with no other siblings currently enrolled K-12.
- Currently have actively enrolled sibling(s) in K-12
- Currently attending Ankeny's preschool program and does not have other siblings currently attending
The district asks for your patience in completing an online registration application as the system may work a bit slower due to the number of families trying to complete and submit within the same time frame.
1. New to the District
If you are new to the district and have no other children attending Ankeny schools, please start the process by going to Ankeny Schools new family registration information. Once on the website, click the link in the second paragraph. You will be prompted to enter parent/guardian name, child's enrollment year (20-21) and email. When you hit Submit, you will receive an email with a link to complete your online registration. If needed, you will be able to save and go in and out of an application. However, once you hit the final submit button, you will not be able to edit the application or upload any documents.
**If your child currently attends Ankeny's preschool program and you do not have any other children in the district, you may follow these instructions or please see option 3.
2. Actively Enrolled Siblings
If you are enrolling a kindergarten student who has actively enrolled siblings attending Ankeny schools, please start the process by logging into your Infinite Campus parent portal account. Once logged in, on the left-hand side locate the More tab (should be the last available option) followed by Online Registration. On the screen you will have a couple of options, please choose the Existing Student Registration button, make sure the registration year is 20-21, and then Begin Registration. By choosing the 'Existing Student Registration' option, a family will be able to review and update items on their actively enrolled child(ren) as well as adding the incoming kindergartener.
Please be sure to review and make any edits in the Household, Parent/Guardian and Emergency Contact sections. In the Student section, please review and update each existing child's information first followed by clicking the blue button, Add New Student, to add your incoming kindergartener. Once the student section is complete, choose Save/Continue followed by selecting the red Submit button. Please submit one application for the entire family. You will be able to save and go in and out of an application however once you hit the final submit button, you will not be able to edit the application or upload any documents.
3. Actively attending Ankeny's Preschool Program
If you are enrolling a kindergarten student who has actively participated in Ankeny's preschool program and does not have any other siblings attending Ankeny schools, please start the process by logging into your Infinite Campus parent portal account. Once logged in, on the left-hand side locate the More tab (should be the last available option) followed by Online Registration. On the screen you may have a couple of options available, please choose the New Student Registration button, make sure the registration year is 20-21, and then Begin Registration.
Please be sure to review and make any edits in the Household, Parent/Guardian and Emergency Contact sections. In the Student section, click the blue button, Add New Student, to add your incoming kindergartener. Once the student section is complete, choose Save/Continue followed by selecting the red Submit button. You will be able to save and go in and out of an application however once you hit the final submit button, you will not be able to edit the application or upload any documents.
**The district understands that your child isn't brand new however the district will NOT automatically give your child a kindergarten enrollment as we can not assume your child will be attending kindergarten. This is why the district asks that you follow the registration process as indicated above.**
What is needed for Kindergarten Registration?
The following items are what you may gather ahead of time to submit with the online registration application. Please be sure that file sizes for any documents you plan to upload are less than 1 MB as well as the files are legible.
Please use the Kindergarten Registration Checklist as a guide detailing the required documents necessary for enrollment. The required items are:
- Proof of Child's Age* - As required by Board Policy #501.20. Parents are welcome to provide one of the following documents: passport, hospital certificate, custody document, adoption record, etc.
- Home Language Survey* Please click on the link for it to take you to the home language survey. One can locate them at the bottom of the page and there are multiple languages available.
- Kindergarten Informational Form This form aids the school and teacher in getting to know your child prior to the start of kindergarten. This form can NOT be uploaded into the online application and will need to be submitted either to your neighborhood elementary or to the Registrar at the District Office via email, fax or dropping off.
If applicable, please submit any legal documentation in regards to custody/guardianship, parental restrictions, etc. upon submission of the online registration application.
Health Documents *
Any medical documents listed below that are completed, can be uploaded into your online application. For those that will have them completed at a later date, you are welcome to submit them to your neighborhood elementary via emailing the school nurse or dropping them off. One may also deliver items to the Registrar at the District office (306 SW School St). A kindergarten application will not be put on hold if no medical documents are provided.
- Immunization Record or Exemption- Iowa law requires every student enrolled to have an up-to-date certificate of immunization on file by the first day of school. Parents should be able to show to the school nurse that the child has had at least one dose of each immunization.
- Dental Screen- Must be submitted within 60 days of the first day of school
- Vision Screen- Must be submitted within 60 days of the first day of school
- Lead Screen- No action is needed by parents as this is reported to the Iowa Department of Public Health by the child's physician. Parents will be contacted if the child has not been screened to make an appointment.
- Physical- This is recommended but not required
To read more about the health documents for incoming kindergarteners and locate the forms, please visit the health screenings page located on the District website. If you have any questions in regards to the medical documents, please contact your neighborhood elementary nurse with any questions or concerns.
Proof of Residency *
The last item requested is proof of Ankeny residency. Please see the Proof of Residency section for a list of acceptable documents. PO Boxes do not establish residency but can be used for mailing purposes. If your family uses a PO Box, please provide both the physical address as well as the PO Box number. The district is asking ALL families with incoming kindergarteners, including those that currently have actively enrolled children attending Ankeny schools, to supply proof of residency.
Most of the required documents (*) can be uploaded into your online enrollment application. However, if you do not have the capability to upload documents or if you need copies made, please submit to the Registrar via email, dropping off at the District Office or your neighborhood elementary. You may do so prior to the February 3rd date or shortly thereafter in order for the Registrar to process the application in a timely manner.
Due to increased enrollment at the elementary level and limited space, parents are encouraged to enroll their upcoming kindergartener based on the process set forth by the district. If space does become an issue at a particular elementary(s) then the District follows Board Policy-501.33-Student Building Assignments in how students will be placed into other elementary buildings within the district. Building placements for kindergarten students will e communicated via mail the second week in June. This is also per Board Policy 501.33-Student Building Assignments.
Kindergarten Meeting will be April 2, 2020
An informational kindergarten meeting for 2020-2021 will be held on April 2, 2020, at 7:00 p.m. Please plan to attend this meeting at your neighborhood elementary, if you have a child who will be five-years-old on or before September 15, 2020.
To help identify your neighborhood elementary school, please see the district's current boundary map or utilize the address look-up tool. **Please note that the interactive boundary map may not represent the Board approved 2020-2021 boundary lines for the south feeder elementary schools.
Locations for the meeting are listed below:
- Ashland Ridge Elementary, 2600 NW Ash Dr (965-9594)
- Northeast Elementary, 1705 NE Trilein Dr (965-9620)
- Northwest Elementary, 1202 W First St (965-9680)
- Rock Creek Elementary, 3800 NW Abilene Rd (965-9629)
- Westwood Elementary, 2920 NW Ninth St (965-9690)
- Crocker Elementary, 2910 SW Applewood St, (965-9710)
- East Elementary, 710 SE Third St (965-9660)
- Prairie Trail Elementary, 1850 SW College Ave (965-9605)
- Southeast Elementary, 1005 SE Trilein Dr (965-9650)
- Terrace Elementary, 310 NW School St (965-9670) **Those families whose address falls within the Heritage Elementary may want to attend Terrace's meeting.
South feeder families are welcome to attend either the meeting held at their current neighborhood elementary or the elementary based on the board approved boundary lines starting with the 2020-2021 school year. Please know that no matter where you attend you will receive the same kindergarten information.
This meeting is for parents/guardians only. We ask that no children attend. There will be events, prior to the school beginning, allowing students and their families to tour the building and meet their assigned teacher.
For More Information
Were you looking for information on how to enroll new students to Ankeny for the current school year? Click here.