Bus Pass Requirements
The safety of students is a primary concern of the Ankeny Community School District. For a number of safety reasons, it is imperative that Durham School Services bus drivers be able to identify eligible bus riders and allow only those students who are assigned to a bus to ride it.
Rule 17 of the district’s School Bus Transportation Rules and Regulations, gives bus drivers the authority to check for student bus passes.
In alignment with this rule, the following guidelines have been implemented:
- It is the responsibility of students to carry a bus pass.
- All students in grades K-9 who are eligible for free busing, or registered as Pay-to-Ride participants, will be provided a free bus pass holder by the school district.
- Students should place their bus pass in the holder and attach it to their book bag or backpack.
- Students in grades 10-12 may either carry the pass or purchase a bus pass holder.
- Bus drivers will check for bus passes of all students at time of pick-up.
- Students in grades K-5 who are eligible to ride the bus but who forget their bus pass will not be denied the ability to ride their regular bus.
- If a student in grades 3-5 forgets their bus pass, parents/guardians will be notified if the pass is not shown within five school days.
- Students who are eligible to ride the bus in grades 6-12 have three "grace" days per year in which they will be allowed on their bus without a pass. Each day the student is allowed on the bus without a pass, the driver will collect information and officially inform the student’s principal, who will notify the student's parent/guardian. This notification serves as both reminder and warning that the student will lose riding privileges without a bus pass.
- Once a student in grade 6-12 has not presented a bus pass three times during the year, he/she will be on a “no-pass, no-ride” status for the remainder of the school year. Under these circumstances, if the pass is not shown, the student will not be allowed to ride the bus.
- Any student who is denied access to the bus without their pass should call their parent/guardian.
If a student loses his/her bus pass, a new pass may be ordered through your school office. Students also have the option to purchase an additional or replacement bus pass holder.
For More Information
Durham Transportation Manager