The Ankeny Community School District enjoys a reputation as one of the premier school districts in Iowa and the Midwest, with students, staff and parents unified in their efforts to excel in academics, athletics, the arts and activities. The following information gives a quick overview of some recent statistical facts about the district and its achievements. You can also learn more on the district awards and recognition page.
Size and Location
The Ankeny Community School District is located in Polk County, Iowa, in the heart of the State of Iowa. Six miles from the capitol city of Des Moines, the district:
- Serves just over 12,000 PreK-12 grade students in 2018-2019
- Is the 6th largest district in the state by student enrollment
- Is one of the fastest-growing school districts in the state
- Encompasses 16 school buildings in 51.93 square miles
- Has a K-5, 6-7, 8-9, 10-12 grade-level structure
- Employs 2,285 total employees with 850 certified teachers
- Over 67% of teaching staff hold a Master’s Degree
Ankeny Schools enjoy an outstanding reputation in the state and the Midwest for an exemplary and balanced curricular and co-curricular program designed to meet the needs of all students. Some of the accomplishments Ankeny students have achieved include (Note: due to reporting timelines, some statistics listed are older than others):
- 96.4% graduation rate; state average: 91.41% (2017-2018)
- 0.25% dropout rate in grades 7-12 (2017-2018)
- 23.3 average composite score on the ACT. State average is 21.6. National average is 20.7 (2019 graduating class)
- 76.7% of students taking the ACT scored 20 or higher on composite scores (2019 graduating class)
- 70 seniors scored 30 or higher on the ACT composite score (2019 graduating class)
- 447 students in grades 9-12 successfully completed five or more AP/Honors classes
- 106 students earning AP Scholar Awards; 31 with distinction, 26 with honor and 5 National AP Scholars
- 158 members of the class of 2019 graduated with a weighted grade point of 4.0
- 6 National Merit Scholarship Winners
- 1 National Merit Scholarship Semifinalist
- 4 National Merit Scholar Commended Students
- 1.04 CHS and 1.22 AHS AP Index as calculated by the Belin and Blank Iowa AP Index
- AHS average AP test score 3.2; CHS average AP test score 3.4; State average AP test score 2.91
- More than 17,600 Des Moines Area Community College (DMACC) credits earned by students
- 93 members of the class of 2019 graduated with an honors diploma
- 91.9% of the class of 2018 intend to pursue post-secondary education/training
- 84.1% of Ankeny students (grades 3-11) met or exceeded the grade level expectations associated with academic readiness for college and career in English Language Arts.
- 86.1% of Ankeny students (grades 3-11) met or exceeded the grade level expectations associated with academic readiness for college and career in Mathematics.
- 72.1% of Ankeny students (grades 5, 8, and 10) met or exceeded the grade level expectations associated with academic readiness for college and career in Science.
*Due to reporting timelines, some statistics listed are older than others
Athletics and Activities
The district enjoys a very successful activities program. The District has won numerous state athletic championships in both girls and boys athletics in the past. During FY19 the Activities Program received the following recognitions:
- 74 Students signed Letters of Intent to play collegiate sports, or as preferred walk-ons
- 6 CIML Central Team Conference Champions
- 9 District Champions
- 21 State Tournament Appearances
- 150 All Conference Athletes
- 88 All-Academic Team Athletes
- 36 First-Team All-State Athletes
- 3 State Champions – AHS Girls Soccer, ACHS Volleyball & Boys Swimming
- AHS – Gatorade Runner of the Year, Miss Iowa Soccer and State Swimmer of the Year
- 8 Students Selected for All-State Band
- 10 Students Selected for South Central Iowa Bandmasters Association Honor Band
- 2 Division I Ratings at the Iowa Music Association State Marching Band Contest
- 1 Division I Ratings at the Iowa Music Association State Concert Band Contest
- Band Honors: AHS: 1st & Best Guard – Bands Across Prairie; 1st, Best Guard & Best Drumline –
Urbandale Marching Invite; ISDTA Dance Team Championships (Color Guard) – 1st Place & Judges
choice (4 peat State Champs); IHSMA State Marching & Large Group Contests – Division 1 Ratings.
ACHS: Centennial and Northview had 120 students perform in 112 different events throughout the day.
They came home with 81 Division 1 “Superior” Ratings and 24 Top 5 Medal Winners.
Vocal Music, Cheer and Dance
- 9 Division I ratings – Vocal Music Show Choir
- 1 Division II ratings - Vocal Music Show Choir
- Vocal Music Honors: ACHS: Between 5 show choirs, we had 6 Championships, 7 appearances in
Finals, 2 Grand Championships, and many caption awards including Best Vocals, Best Choreography,
and Best Soloist in multiple divisions. AHS: 3 Grand Championships (Muscatine, Benton, &
Westwood) including Best Vocals and Best Choreography.
- 20 Students selected for All State Choir
- 5 Iowa State Honor Choir
- 1 ISDTA Color Guard State Champions
- AHS Dance Team – 3rd Place Finish at Nationals in Pom & Hip Hop
- 25 Division I ratings in State Group Speech
- 25 Division I ratings in Individual Group Speech
- 3 All-State Individual Speech selections
- 4 All-State Group Speech selections
- 0 State Debate Participants
- Quiz Bowl: AHS State Champs, National Qualifiers
- Trap Shooting – AHS: 1st in State International Trap, 3rd in Singles, 4th in Doubles; Male Athlete of the
Year, 2 All-State Team Members. ACHS: Regionals, 1st Singles, 1st Handicap & 2nd Doubles; State,
1st Singles, 2nd Handicap, 2nd Doubles; Nationals, 2nd Singles, 2nd Handicap, 2nd Doubles, 2nd HOA
(High Overall Which total of all 3 Disciplines). The Club Endowment Fund received $8,000 for taking
2nd in HOA!
- 90.82% White
- 2.64% Hispanic
- 1.49% African American
- 2.66% Asian
- 0.12% American Indian/Alaska Native
- 0.06% Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander
- 0.64% Other
Faculty and Staff
- More than 1,500 employees
- 805 certified teachers - 75% of Ankeny teachers hold a master's degree.
- 100% highly-qualified teachers by State of Iowa definition
The District’s overall budget size is nearly $190 million, and we are the sixth largest Iowa school district currently.