The Ankeny Community School District enjoys a reputation as one of the premier school districts in Iowa and the Midwest, with students, staff and parents unified in their efforts to excel in academics, athletics, the arts and activities. The following information gives a quick overview of some recent statistical facts about the district and its achievements. You can also learn more on the district awards and recognition page.
Size and Location
The Ankeny Community School District is located in Polk County, Iowa, in the heart of the State of Iowa. Six miles from the capitol city of Des Moines, the district:
- Has a 2018 state-certified enrollment of 11,977.02 students (View certified & projected enrollment here.)
- Increase of 428.31 students from last year.
- Is the 6th largest district in the state (total students served).
- Has been one of the fastest-growing school districts in Iowa for more than a decade, averaging growth of 365 students annually for the last ten years.
- Encompasses 16 school buildings in 51.93 square miles.
- Has a K-5, 6-7, 8-9, 10-12 grade level structure.
- Has more than 360,540 miles driven by buses per year.
Ankeny Schools enjoy an outstanding reputation in the state and the Midwest for an exemplary and balanced curricular and co-curricular program designed to meet the needs of all students. Some of the accomplishments Ankeny students have achieved include (Note: due to reporting timelines, some statistics listed are older than others):
- 97.03% graduation rate; state average: 91.26% (2015-2016)
- 0.67% dropout rate in grades 7-12 (2015-2016)
- 77.8% of students taking the ACT scored 20 or higher (2017 graduating class)
- 23.5 average composite score on the ACT. State average is 21.9. National average is 21.0 (2017 graduating class)
- 68 seniors scored 30 or higher on the ACT (2017 graduating class)
- 59 students successfully completed five or more AP/Honors classes (2016-2017)
- 105 students earning AP Scholar Awards; 28 with distinction and 27 with honor (2016-2017)
- 140 members of the class of 2017 graduated with a weighted grade point of 4.0 (2016-2017)
- 7 National Merit Scholarship Winners (2016-2017)
- 3 National Merit Scholar Commended Students (2016-2017)
- 1.27 ACHS and 1.16 AHS AP Index as calculated by the Belin and Blank Iowa AP Index; Top 24 in the state (2016-2017)
- 3.19 average AP test score (2016-2017)
- More than 18,600 Des Moines Area Community College (DMACC) credits earned by students (2016-2017)
- 97 members of the class of 2017 graduated with an honors diploma
- 89% of the class of 2016 intend to pursue post-secondary education/training
- On average, 38.2% of Ankeny students (grades 3-11) are advanced proficiency in reading, according to the Iowa Assessments (2016-2017)
- On average, 45.2% of Ankeny students (grades 3-11) are advanced proficiency in math, according to the Iowa Assessments (2016-2017)
- On average, 32.8% of Ankeny students (grades 3-11) are advanced proficiency in science, according to the Iowa Assessments (2016-2017)
- On average, 31.8% of Ankeny students (grades 3-11) are advanced proficiency in social studies, according to the Iowa Assessments (2016-2017)
Athletics and Activities
The district enjoys a very successful activities program. The District has won numerous state athletic championships in both girls and boys athletics in the past. During FY18 the Activities Program received the following recognitions:
- 74 Students signed Letters of Intent to play collegiate sports, or as preferred walk-ons
- 2 CIML Central Team Conference Champions
- 10 District Champions
- 20 State Tournament Appearances
- 134 All Conference Athletes
- 89 All-Academic Team Athletes
- 45 First-Team All-State Athletes
- 1 State Champions – ACHS Girls Soccer
- 6 Students Selected for All-State Band
- 18 Students Selected for South Central Iowa Bandmasters Association Honor Band
- Rained Out - Division I Ratings at the Iowa Music Association State Marching Band Contest
- 2 Division I Ratings at the Iowa Music Association State Concert Band Contest
- Band Honors: AHS: 1st Place Perry Olympics. ACHS Band Program was awarded the “Dr. Tim Lautzenheiser Esprit de Corps Award” which recognizes students who display an exemplary attitude of positive support and outstanding personal behavior.
Vocal Music, Cheer and Dance
- 6 Division I ratings – Vocal Music Show Choir
- 0 Division II ratings - Vocal Music Show Choir
- Vocal Music Honors: ACHS: Vocal Music Honors-Spectrum undefeated regionally and went to California where they were named Grand Champions of the Los Alamitos Xtravaganza show choir competition. AHS: Visual Adrenaline 2 Grand Champions, Concert Choir Selected to perform at Iowa Choral Showcase, Sweepstakes Award at Heritage Music Festival in New York City.
- 12 Students selected for All State Choir
- 12 Iowa State Honor Choir
- 1 Winterguard ISDTA Class 3 State Champions
- 30 Division I ratings in State Group Speech
- 15 Division I ratings in Individual Group Speech
- 3 All-State Individual Speech selections
- 3 All-State Group Speech selections
- 2 State Debate Participants
- 28 Individual Trap Club 1st Place Wins
- 13 Team Trap Club 1st Place Wins
- 90.82% White
- 2.64% Hispanic
- 1.49% African American
- 2.66% Asian
- 0.12% American Indian/Alaska Native
- 0.06% Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander
- 0.64% Other
Faculty and Staff
- More than 1,500 employees
- 779.3 certified teachers - 67% of Ankeny teachers hold a master's degree.
- 100% highly-qualified teachers by State of Iowa definition
The District’s overall budget size is nearly $190 million, and we are the sixth largest Iowa school district currently.