2021 School Board Election
2021 Board Election Timeline:
August 23, Candidate filing begins. Each candidate must file an affidavit of candidacy and nomination petitions with the Board Secretary Jennifer Jamison. The affidavit of candidacy and nomination petitions must be filed together or they will be rejected. Copies of nomination papers are available at the school secretary’s office, county auditor’s office, or on the Secretary of State’s website. The minimum number of signatures needed depends on the number of registered voters in the school district as of May 1, 2021. In Ankeny, this is 50 signatures, but it is recommended to obtain more should any signatures be considered invalid.
October 18: Absentee Ballot by Mail Request Deadline
November 1: Absentee Ballot In-Person Deadline
November 2: School Election Day
(7 AM to 8 PM; Find your polling location here)
Standards for Successful School Boards
According to the Iowa Association of School Boards, below are the six standards for successful school boards:
- Visionary Team: Operate as a visionary governance team in partnership with the superintendent.
- Student Learning: Provide effective leadership for quality instruction and high, equitable student learning.
- District Culture: Foster a culture that enables excellence and innovation.
- Policy & Legal: Lead through sound policy, ensuring transparent, ethical, legal operations.
- Fiscal Responsibility: Sustain and enhance district resources through planning and fiduciary oversight.
- Advocacy: Advocate for public education and the needs of Iowa students.
Requirements of Ankeny School Board Directors:
- Members of the Ankeny Board of Education are elected at large for four-year voluntary terms.
- The Board of Education follows a governance model. In this process, the Board gives direction to the school district as to their priorities and goals, and the administration then develops the best procedures and practices to fulfill those goals.
- The Board meets the first and third Tuesday of each month at 6 p.m. School Board members also sit on a number of committees which advise the district in areas of policy, curriculum & instruction, and planning.
For more information, we encourage any interested individuals to review the Iowa Association of School Board’s 2021 Guide For Iowa School Board Candidates and the Iowa Secretary of State’s Candidate’s Guide to the School Election.
Additionally, the Iowa Association of School Boards is offering a free webinar series for new board candidates called “Tuesday Talks with IASB”. See the information below:
Join us for a free webinar series designed to provide valuable information new board candidates need! Learn more and register today!
- RECORDING & PDF NOW AVAILABLE! Running for the School Board 101—Essential Tips for Candidates
- Aug. 31: Maintaining Your Community’s Trust—Legal & Ethical Campaigns for the School Board
- Sept. 21: Student Learning—Do Boards Really Make a Difference?
Current Ankeny Board of Education
- Board President: Aaron Johnson, term expires in 2021
- Board Vice President: Amy Tagliareni, term expires in 2023
- Deshara Bohanna, term expires in 2023
- Katie Claeys, term expires in 2023
- Jim Ford, term expires 2021
- Lori Lovstad, term expires in 2021
- Ryan Weldon, term expires in 2023