School Driving Permit
School driving permits are available on a limited basis to students who meet all of the following criteria:
- The student is at least 14 ½ and in grades 9-12.
- The student resides one mile or more from the school (Code of Iowa, 321.194).
- The student has successfully completed a certified driver’s education program.
- The student has had a student learner’s permit for at least six (6) months.
- The student must purchase a hang tag from the school they are attending for parking privileges.
- Conditions set by the DOT and DOE are met.
Additional district requirements include:
- The district may deny requests if adequate parking is not available at the school.
- The District will pursue the appropriate action for students who abuse their driving privileges on school sites or at school activities and encourage the local authorities to provide strict legal enforcement of the restrictions on student licenses.
Parents - please follow the steps below if you have not obtained the Principal's signature:
- Make a copy of your student's Drivers Education Certificate of Completion.
- Complete the following forms located on the ACSD website, ankenyschools.orgunder the Student tab → Driving Permits:
- Obtain the school Principal's signature on the Application.
- Leave the three forms above with the school Secretary. Your forms will be sent to the District Office for the final signatures and mailed back to your home address.
- Take all documents to the IOWADOT to obtain the school driving permit.
Parents - please follow the steps below if you have obtained the Principals signature
- Complete the attached IOWADOT Affidavit for Minor School License.
- Bring to the District Office:
- Completed IOWADOT Affidavit
- Application - signed by your student, a parent, and the Principal
- COPY of your student's Certificate of Completion from driver’s education
The forms will be signed and mailed back to your home address.
**Parking permits are obtained at the school office. Contact your school office for a parking permit.