Required Continuous Learning Model
Ankeny Schools’ requested a waiver from the Iowa Department of Education on Wednesday, November 18 for all PreK-12 students to transition to a required continuous learning model on Monday, November 23, 2020. Today, the Iowa Department of Education approved that waiver. All students, PreK-12, will be in this required continuous learning model through Friday, December 4, 2020. Our intent at that time is to transition back to a hybrid learning model if the local health data is consistent with that decision.
It is important to remember the required continuous learning model will not be like the voluntary model followed this past spring, nor is it like the hybrid model asynchronous days. Please view the required continuous learning model plan here.
Attendance is required and will be recorded in Infinite Campus. Daily attendance will be based on whether a student accesses synchronous and asynchronous instruction.
Student attendance will be monitored by a building attendance team. If there are concerns about your child’s attendance or engagement in either synchronous or asynchronous learning, a representative from your child’s building will be in contact with you. If you have concerns about your own child’s attendance or engagement please contact their teacher or building principal.
With the district moving to the required continuous learning model, Nutrition Services is changing the curbside meal service to better serve Ankeny families.
Please help us know how much food to prepare, by completing the forms linked below
This form does not have to be completed to pickups meals, but we would greatly appreciate knowing this for planning purposes.
11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Schedule: Thanksgiving Week
Monday, November 23 – Crocker Elementary and Northview Middle School
Tuesday, November 24 – NO CURBSIDE SERVICE
Wednesday, November 25 – Northview Middle School Only
Thursday, November 26 – NO CURBSIDE SERVICE
Friday, November 27 – Northview Middle Schools Only
- Will include meals for the weekend.
Schedule: November 30 – December 4
Pickups available: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
Starting this week, we will add a ready-to-eat, hot entree on meal pickup days.
There will be six (6) locations to pick up from beginning this week. View the maps here.
- Crocker Elementary School
- East Elementary School
- Northview Middle School
- Northeast Elementary School
- Southview Middle School
- Westwood Elementary School
Rules for Meal Pick-Up
- Free meals are available to ALL children
- Parents may pick up meals without children present.
- Multiple days of breakfasts/lunches will be distributed on each pick-up day
As we make the transition from Hybrid to Required Continuous Learning, we would like to share several quick reminders regarding the importance of reporting illness even while learning remotely.
- Feeling Sick. If your child is feeling ill and is unable to participate in continuous learning, please contact your school as usual.
- Positive Test. If your child tests positive for COVID-19, please keep your child home and contact your school principal and school nurse as soon as possible.
- Close Contact. If you are notified that your child is a close contact with a person who tests positive for COVID-19, please keep your child home and contact your school.
- Limit Contact With Others. Continue to follow Polk County Health Department guidelines which include limiting contact with others. This includes social distancing, wearing a mask properly, and keeping your social circle small.
- Wear a Mask. Per the Polk County Health Department: We cannot stress the importance of wearing a mask enough. This is the best form of protection against COVID-19. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has now provided new guidance that wearing a mask can protect BOTH the person wearing the mask and those around you. Wearing a mask will help reduce the spread of COVID-19 in our community and may help our students return to their school buildings sooner.
If your child is currently in quarantine and not ill, your child is expected to virtually attend the Required Continuous Learning per their class schedule.
Thank you for everything you are doing to help keep our students, staff, and community safe.