Band department caps off year with awards
ANKENY, Iowa (May 16, 2018) – Three Ankeny school bands performed at the Adventureland Festival of Bands on Friday, April 27, where they were critiqued by a panel of three outstanding conductor-adjudicators from across the country and received a rating.
The Southview Middle School ninth-grade band received a Division II rating in the ninth-grade class and the Ankeny High School eleven- and twelfth-grade band received a II+ rating in Class 4A. The Ankeny High School tenth-grade band received a I- rating in the open class and earned the Don Marcouiller Best of Class Trophy. This trophy is given for the finest performance in each class who received a I, I-, or II+ rating.
On May 5, Ankeny High School hosted the Iowa High School Music Association (IHSMA) State Large Group Festival for band and choir. Ankeny's instrumental ensembles received the following ratings:
- Southview Middle School ninth-grade band: Division II Excellent Rating
- Ankeny High School tenth-grade band: Division I Superior Rating
- Ankeny High School eleven- and twelfth-grade band: Division I Superior Rating
All three ensembles also earned a 2018 IHSMA Distinguished Academic Achievement Award for having a GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- 2018 IHSMA Distinguished Academic Achievement Award: Ninth-grade band (3.67)
- 2018 IHSMA Distinguished Academic Achievement Award: Tenth-grade band (3.57)
- 2018 IHSMA Distinguished Academic Achievement Award: Eleven- and twelfth-grade band (3.66)
The bands performed their final concert on Monday, May 7. Highlights of the concert included a commissioned piece with the Heartland Marima quartet, jazz band and band awards, and senior recognition. The following students received special honors:
- 2018 John Philip Sousa Award winner: Emma St. Clair
- 2018 Patrick Fillmore Award winner: Grant Bielecki
- 2018 Louis Armstrong Jazz Award: Joe Shanks
- 2018 Woody Herman Jazz Award: Marianna Elia
- 2018 Group Dynamic Servant Leader Award: Brooke Murrow and Makenna Davis