2015 New York Trip
The Ankeny Centennial Marching Band traveled to New York City to perform as part of the 2015 Band of Pride and to march in America's Parade on Veterans Day. As part of the trip, students rode a ferry around the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Islands; visited the 9/11 Memorial; ate dinner in and explored Chinatown; performed in Times Square as part of the Band of Pride; visited Rockefeller Plaza and the "Top of the Rock"; took a guided TV & Movie Tour through Manhattan; marched in the Veterans Day Parade; explored Central Park; and got to see Aladdin on Broadway!
It was a whirlwind trip with lots of photos and videos taken and memories made! This page is an attempt to collect many of the different photos and videos taken of our experience and performances. If you would like any of your photos/videos featured here, e-mail Mr. Hable.
The directors and students posted many updates, photos, and video on Twitter. You do not need a Twitter account to see what happened! The main Twitter account for the Centennial Band is @ACHSBands. There were also two hashtags used to collect tweets from students. They were #ACHSBand2NYC and #DrThiebenDoesNYC. Please note that these two hashtags are NOT able to be moderated by directors.
Band of Pride
Three high school bands (including Ankeny Centennial) and the U.S. Fleet Forces Band under the direction of Chief Warrant Officer 4 Robert A. Szabo in Times Square on Tuesday, November 10. An official photo can be found on Group Photos. Audio recordings of those performances can be found below:
Veterans Day Parade
Over 20,000 participants marched in the 96th Annual America's Parade on Wednesday, November 11. The Centennial Marching Band performed "A Patriotic Salute" as they marched up 5th Ave from 29th to 52nd. Several different people and organizations captured video from the parade:
- WHO TV 13 (YouTube, Sean Frommelt)
- Military.com Livestream (YouTube, Tom Honz)
- Sean Frommelt (Facebook)
- Karen Myers (Facebook)
- Group Photos (Official Photographer)
- Mark Dooley - Video 1 & Video 2 (YouTube)
Other Photographs and Video
- Our Communications Department put together a slideshow of pictures taken from our Twitter feed over the week. Thanks, Alice Pareti!
- Band Parent Jeff Ollie took several high quality shots throughout the trip. Jeff says to feel free to share any pictures you like to social media, but if you'd like to print physical copies, please contact him. He can supply a higher quality version with additional color correction and other adjustments.
- Yahoo! News posted a slideshow from the Veterans Day Parade. Centennial is on Slide 18.
- Military.com posted a live stream from PIX11 of the parade and now has it archived on their website. Centennial appears around the 41 minute mark after 500 of New York's Army National Guard.
- Tim McGraw tweeted a picture of the Veterans Day Parade that featured the Centennial Marching Band!