General Attendance Policy
Students who know they will be absent must notify their school's office prior to the absence. If advance notification is not possible, parents must notify the office at 515-965-9630 on the day of the absence before 10:00 AM. A parent must call each day the student is ill. If notification is not received, the office attempts to contact the parents at their emergency number. If contact is not made to confirm the illness, the absence will be considered unexcused. All absences must be reported within one day of the absence to be considered excused.
- Students absent from school for any reason may be required by the school to submit a written explanation for their absence, the specific days and times they were absent, verification by the doctor or dentist where appropriate, and a signature of the parent.
- Students are expected to be in class on time, and the school determines whether an absence is excused or unexcused. Acceptable reasons for a students' absence from school are limited to the following:
- Religious observances, extended illness, hospitalization or doctor's care, death in the family or family emergency, court appearance or other legal situation beyond the control of the family
- Unexcused absences include, but are not limited to: tardiness, shopping, hunting, concerts, preparation or participation in parties or other celebrations, employment, senior pictures
- Classes missed because of attendance at a school-sponsored trip or activity will not be considered an absence. However, the student will be required to male up work missed.
- Students participating in school activities must be in school the entire school day on the day of the event in order to participate in the activity. Only in extraordinaory circumstances may this rule be waived by the principal.
Suspensions from class will be treated as school-initiated student absences and will not count toward the days absent. However, the student is required to make up work missed.
School work missed because of absences must be made up within two times the number of days absent not to exceed 10 days. The time allowed for make-up work may be extended at the discretion of the classoom teacher. Students are responsible for arranging to make up schoolwork and are allowed to make up schoolwork only upon the approval of their teacher. Students who know they are going to be absent prior to an absence must make arrangements with their teachers in advance to make up schoolwork.