Return to Headlines
Thank You, Local Law Enforcement!
ANKENY, Iowa (November 23, 2016) - Counselor's Cabinet students at Southeast Elementary spear-headed a special project to send special notes of thanks to local police officers. Every officer in Des Moines, Urbandale, Ankeny, and Polk County will receive a "care-bag" of candy, donated by the students; a photo of the entire student body, and a card that reads:
- Lifesaver - Because you are one!
- Caramel - Because you help others get out of sticky situations!
- 100 Grand - Because you don't do it for the money!
- Lollipop - For that "pop" of energy you need!
- Mint Patty - To help you keep your cool in every situation!
- Laffy Taffy - To help you keep your sense of humor!
- Gum - To help your unit stick together!
- Hershey's Kisses - To show you our love for all you do!
- Thank you for all you do! - From your Southeast admirers
Five students at Southeast have parents who work in local law enforcement. In the all-school photo, to be given with each bag, those children are featured holding a sign for their mom or dad.
Southeast students say they are proud to be a part of the service project.
"This is important because the police officers do so much for us and other people, and it is important for us to recognize them for all they do," said Ryann Wisecup, fifth grade.
"I think this is an important project," added Olivia Seeman, fifth grade. "It makes me feel really good to be a part of it and show the officers that we care about them."
"It means a lot to me because I get to put my head down on my pillow at night knowing these guys are out there helping me and keeping me safe," commented Connor Kayser, fifth grade. "They don't know whether they will make it back home each night, but they don't care, they go out there anyway. It's pretty amazing that they keep doing that."