807.00 Cell Phone Policy and Procedures
A select group of employees will be provided with cell phone service or stipend due to the nature of the position within the District. Employees provided with this benefit may be required to carry a phone for communication during and after normal school hours, for safety and/or operational concerns. (See Appendix A for eligible employees).
R.R. for Policy 807.00
Procedures for District purchased cell phones:
The following Ankeny CSD staff positions are eligible for a provided cell phone or stipend deemed necessary for safety, security, and communication purposes:
- Building and District Administrators/Directors/Managers
- Technology Department
- Juvenile Court Liaison
- Communications Manager/Activities Event Managers/Coordinators
- HS Activities Coordinator(s)
- Custodial and Maintenance Manager
- Social Worker(s)
- Nutrition Services Assistant Manager
- Other person as approved by the Superintendent/designee
Options: There are two options available to designated staff for cell phones Those options are noted below:
Option #1: District offered cell phone and service plan: The District will maintain a group plan for eligible individuals to include basic voice and texting services. Free phone upgrade from an approved list every 12-24 months. For certain situations it may be necessary for the person to also have cell data services. Those will be approved on a case by case basis by the District CFO.
Option #2: District offered stipend: Individuals may choose any carrier and plan that meets their personal needs. The District will provide a monthly stipend. No building, student funds, or parent/booster gifts may be used to pay for the phone / PDA devices or data / voice plan. The District technology staff will not “support” any non-district device. Please consult with the technology department staff prior to purchase to ensure it will work with current District hardware architecture.
The following procedures apply to either option:
- As a condition of providing this cell phone the employee is expected to carry the phone and be responsive to calls concerning District business during and outside of regular business hours.
- Employees are prohibited from using a District provided cell phone while operating a motor vehicle.
- The IRS requires the District to treat a cell phone or stipend as a "listed property" and it will be considered a working condition fringe benefit. As a result, the value of the monthly phone charge and minutes used will be placed on the employees W-2 for tax purposes.
- The cell phone numbers of District provided phones will be made available to District administrative staff for their use.
The following procedures are specific to those who choose the District purchased cell phones and service plan:
Cell phone service provided to an employee is primarily for business use. Business use is any use in the course of performing specific job-related duties on behalf and for the benefit of the District. Because of the difficulty in separating business from personal calls it is recognized and permissible for the employee to also use the District cell phone for limited and responsible amount of personal call time.
- The District has established a cell phone contract with a primary vendor and employees issued cell phones will be covered by this contract agreement.
- Employees who use a district issued phone have no expectation of privacy for billing records and phone calls placed and received.
- Inappropriate use of a District provided cell phone will result in disciplinary action, including possible termination.
- Phones lost or damaged by the employee will be replaced by the District per the cell phone contract provisions and it will be the responsibility of the employee to reimburse the District for this cost.
- District cell phones may be upgraded according to contract terms (typically every 2 years).
- The District will not reimburse staff members for personal cell phone plans. If the employee chooses to have a personal plan they will need to carry both cell phones or choose option 2 above.
October 15, 2012
October 16, 2017