Why is the Seal of Biliteracy important?
High School graduates who can function in two or more languages are equipped with the knowledge and skills to participate successfully in college, careers, and a diverse 21st century society. The seal of biliteracy:
- Values language as an asset
- Recognizes the value of language diversity & cultural identity
- Prepares students with 21st-century skills that will benefit them in the labor market and the global society
- Provides employers, universities, and grant/scholarship providers with a method to recognize applicants for their dedication to the attainment of biliteracy
- Affirms native or heritage languages
- Strengthens cross-cultural communication, affirm the value of diversity, and honor the multiple cultures and languages in our communities.