303.20 Administrative Staff Evaluation
The Superintendent/designee will conduct an ongoing process of evaluating the administrators on their skills, abilities, and competence. At a minimum, the Superintendent/designee will formally evaluate the licensed administrators annually. The goal of the formal evaluation process is to ensure the educational program for the students is carried out, student learning goals of the District are met, promote growth in effective administrative leadership for the District, clarify the administrator's role as defined by the Board and the Superintendent/designee, ascertain areas in need of improvement, clarify the immediate priorities of the responsibilities listed in the job description, and develop a working relationship between the Superintendent/designee and the administrator.
The Superintendent/designee is responsible for designing an administrator evaluation instrument. The formal evaluation will include written criteria related to the job description. The Superintendent/designee, after receiving input from the administrators, will present the formal evaluation instrument to the Board for approval.
The formal evaluation will also include an opportunity for the administrator and the Superintendent/designee to discuss the written criteria, past year's performance and future areas of growth. The evaluation is completed by the Superintendent/designee, signed by the administrator and filed in the administrator's personnel file.
The administrator will be an educational leader who, consistent with the Iowa Leadership Standards, promotes the success of all students by:
- Facilitating the development, articulation, implementation, and stewardship of a vision of learning that is shared and supported by the school community.
- Advocating, nurturing and sustaining a school culture and instructional program conducive to student learning and staff professional development.
- Ensuring management of the organization, operations and resources for a safe, efficient and effective learning environment.
- Collaborating with families and community members, responding to diverse community interests and needs and mobilizing community resources.
- Acting with integrity, fairness and in an ethical manner.
- Understanding the profile of the community, and responding to and influencing the larger political, social, economic, legal and cultural context.
It is the responsibility of the Superintendent/designee to conduct a formal evaluation of licensed administrators prior to May 15.
This policy supports and does not preclude the ongoing informal evaluation of the administrator's skills, abilities and competence.
Iowa Code §279.8, .21-.23A (1989).
281 Iowa Admin. Code 12.3(4) (new standards)
302.10 Board/Administration Committees
302.21 District Administrative Positions
March 13, 1989
March 10, 2003
January 20, 2014
November 3, 2008
January 20, 2014