1003.20 Gifts to Unit Personnel
Employees and members of the Board of Directors may receive a gift on behalf of the school district. Employees and members of the Board of Directors shall not, either directly or indirectly, solicit, accept or receive any gift, series of gifts or an honorarium unless the gift or honorarium does not meet the definition of gift or honorarium stated below.
R.R. for Policy #1003.20
A “gift” is the giving of anything of value in return for which something of equal or greater value is not given or received. However, “gift” does not include any of the following:
- Contributions to a candidate or a candidate’s committee;
- Information material relevant to an employee’s/Board member’s official function, such as books, pamphlets, reports, documents, periodicals or other information that is recorded in a written, audio or visual format;
- Anything received from a person related within the fourth degree by kinship or marriage, unless the donor is acting as an agent or intermediary for another person not so related;
- An inheritance;
- Anything available or distributed to the general public free of charge without regard to the official status of the employee/Board member;
- Items received from a charitable, professional, educational or business organization to which the employee/Board member belongs as a dues paying member if the items are given to all members of the organization without regard to an individual member’s status or positions held outside of the organization and if the dues paid are not inconsequential when compared to the items received;
- Actual expenses of an employee for food, beverages, travel and lodging for a meeting, which is given in return for participation in a panel or speaking engagement at the meeting when the expenses relate directly to the day or days on which the employee/Board member has participation or presentation responsibilities;
- Plaques or items of negligible resale value given as recognition for public service;
- Non-monetary items with a value of less than three dollars that are received from any one donor during one calendar day;
- Items or services solicited or given to a state, national or regional organization in which the state of Iowa or a school district is a member or solicited by or given for the same purposes to state, national or regional government organizations whose memberships and officers are primarily composed of state or local government officials or employees;
- Items or services received by members or representatives of members as part of a regularly scheduled event that is part of a business or educational conference, seminar or other meeting that is sponsored and directed by any state, national or regional government organization in which the state of Iowa or a political subdivision of the state of Iowa is a member or received at such an event by members or representatives of members of state, national or regional government organizations whose memberships and officers are primarily composed of state or local government officials or employees;
- Funeral flowers or memorials to a church or nonprofit organization;
- Gifts which are given to an employee/Board member for the employee’s/Board member’s wedding or twenty-fifth or fiftieth wedding anniversary;
- Payment of salary or expenses by the District for the cost of attending a meeting of a subunit of an agency when the employee/Board member whose expenses are being paid serves on a board, commission, committee, council or other subunit of the agency and the employee/Board member is not entitled to receive compensation or reimbursement of expenses from the District for attending the meeting; or
- Gifts other than food, beverages, travel and lodging received by an employee/Board member which are received from a person who is a citizen of a country other than the United States and is given during a ceremonial presentation or as a result of a custom of the other country and is of personal value only to the employee/Board member.
An “honorarium” is anything of value that is accepted by, or on behalf of, an employee/Board member as consideration for an appearance, speech or article. An honorarium does not include any of the following:
- Actual expenses of an employee/Board member for registration, food, beverages, travel or lodging for a meeting, which is given in return for participation in a panel or speaking engagement at a meeting when the expenses relate directly to the day or days on which the employee/Board member has participation or presentation responsibilities;
- A nonmonetary gift or series of nonmonetary gifts donated within thirty days to a public body, an educational or charitable organization or the Iowa department of general services; or
- A payment made to an employee/Board member for services rendered as a part of a private business, trade or profession in which the employee/Board member is engaged if the payment is commensurate with the actual services rendered and is not being made because of the person’s status as an employee/Board member of the District, but, rather, because of some special expertise or other qualification.
It shall be the responsibility of each employee/Board member to know when it is appropriate to accept or reject gifts or an honorarium.