1004.25 Distribution of Materials
The District recognizes that it is part of the larger Ankeny community in which it carries out its educational mission. As such, the District has often served as a conduit of information by permitting the distribution of materials. The District will continue to assist in communicating both District related and non-District related information to the public subject to the following guidelines and procedures.
- Materials produced by organizations whose purpose it is to benefit the District by providing, financial, educational, or program support for the District. Examples of District related organizations include, but are not limited to, the Ankeny Community School Foundation, various booster organizations that support extra-curricular programs, Parent-Teacher Organizations, After-Prom Committee, Community Engagement courses, and the Alumni Association or;
- Materials deemed by the Superintendent/designee to be of importance may include, but is not limited to, health advisories or emergency information.
- Entity, activity, or event benefitting students and/or families within the Ankeny Community; and
- A youth related program, activity, or event for students and/or families; and
- Intended to improve the health, education or welfare of students; and
- A non-profit organization or a non-profit event.
- Materials promoting products, activities or services that are illegal for students or prohibited by Board policies and/or administrative rules.
- Materials using inappropriate words or images to promote otherwise acceptable products or services.
- Materials promoting products, activities, or services that interfere with the District’s mission.
- Materials that encourage or can reasonably be anticipated to cause a disruption of the orderly educational process or operation of the District.
- Materials on behalf of a political candidate or political party.
- Materials advertising entities, products or services that discriminate on the basis of sex, race, age, creed, color, marital status, national orientation, religion, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity.
R.R. 1-1004.25 Distribution of Materials
A. Procedures for District Related Materials
- The Superintendent/designee will designate District -related organizations whose materials may be distributed without each item being approved for distribution.
- District-related organizations, whose materials have not been designated for distribution, shall submit each item to be distributed to the coordinator of communications for approval.
C. Materials not approved for distribution may appeal the denial by notifying the Superintendent/designee-in writing within five calendar days of the decision.
R.R. 2-1004.25 Distribution of Materials
A. Procedures for Non-District Related Materials
- The entity or individual requesting materials distribution must submit a request and an electronic sample of the material to the Superintendent/designee for approval before distribution.
- Materials must identify the entity or individual responsible for the distribution, including name, address, telephone number and e-mail address.
- Materials must include the name, date, time, and location of the event or activity.
- Materials must include the following statements printed in type, at least as large as the majority of the other text in the materials, separate from other text and located in a conspicuous location: This is not a school district publication. It is being distributed through the school district as a community service of the District to inform you of other community activities or services.
- Each distribution must be individually approved as required by these procedures.
- Allow 2 weeks for approval process.
- Materials are not to be delivered directly to school buildings.
- Non-District materials are sent electronically during a regularly scheduled distribution. Paper copies may be available to students who do not have internet access. Approved paper copies will be delivered to the Community Engagement Office at 306 SW School Street one week prior to the requested date of distribution. Materials must be sorted or grouped as requested.
- The Community Engagement Department will attach a copy of the approval form prior to distribution.
- Opportunities are to be afforded to all students. The District will not select specific teachers or students to receive materials.
- Posters may be posted in District buildings, at the discretion of the building principal/administrator, after meeting all requirements and approvals noted in this procedure.
- The production of the materials is the responsibility of the individual or entity requesting the distribution. District resources and/or materials shall not be used for the production of non-District materials. Quantities for each building can be obtained from the Community Engagement Department.
- The Ankeny Community School District reserves the right to refuse distribution of materials of any group that it deems is circumventing or refusing to follow these procedures.
D. Materials promoting special offers or discounts for services, in which the offer is specific to Ankeny Community School District staff and/or their families will be posted in a special staff-related section of the District website, annually.
- Posters for these offers may be posted in the faculty/staff lounge at the building principal/administrator discretion.
- Materials will not be distributed to staff members in their mailboxes.
- Materials will not be e-mailed to staff members.
- Any occasion, incident or situation that would violate the state gift law will not be distributed.
- Materials will not be distributed to students.
July 16, 2012