The Board will allow “tailgating” before and after school sponsored events pursuant to the rules and regulations. The goal is to create a safe environment, protecting the property of the District, while at the same time supporting athletics and activities. To ensure a fan-friendly and safe tailgating environment, the following rules will be enforced by District staff, event staff, and local law enforcement.
1004.35 Rules and Regulations:
- The possession of alcohol and tobacco on District property is prohibited. Violators may be asked to leave the facilities and may be subject to Policy 902.10 Use of Tobacco at School Facilities. Ankeny students in violation will result in disciplinary action in accordance with Policy 502.20 Tobacco Products, Alcohol, Drugs. Ankeny staff in violation will be subject to Policy 406.00 Substance-Free Workplace.
- Only designated areas may be used for tailgating. Organizations, class reunions, or other large groups will contact the athletic director/designee for an assigned tailgate area. All others may tailgate in designated parking areas provided they comply with all other tailgate policies.
- Appropriate adult supervision must be present during the tailgate event. Unsupervised students may be asked to leave a tailgate area.
- Fans and visitors from other teams may tailgate in specified areas, as long as the tailgate rules are followed.
- Tailgating in the parking lot may not impede the general flow of traffic or use a space intended for a parked car. Overflow tailgaters will be directed by security or law enforcement officers to comply.
- Solicitations and commercial activities require permission of the Superintendent/designee.
- Any person damaging District property will be responsible for the cost of repairs, including damages to surfaces from cooking.
- Unless otherwise designated, set-up may not begin before two hours prior to kick-off/tip-off or the start of the event. Areas must be cleaned and vacated within one hour after the event.
- Driving or parking private vehicles on any green spaces or sidewalks is strictly prohibited.
- Tents or canopies must be secured and may not obstruct sidewalks, drive lanes or pedestrian walkways. Tailgating amenities may not obstruct the same areas. Anchors may not be inserted in parking lot or other hard surfaces.
- BBQ grills must be tended to at all times. Hot coals must be properly disposed of by tailgaters before being left unattended.
- All trash must be disposed of in trash containers or removed from District property.
- Inappropriate or unsportsmanlike behavior may result in removal from the facility and suspension from future tailgating activities.
- The Ankeny School District is not responsible for accidents, damage, loss or theft of materials or personal property.