501.32 Open Enrollment Transfers
The District shall participate in Open Enrollment both as a sending and receiving district.
Iowa Code §§139.9, 274.1, 279.11, 282.1, .3, .8, .18, 299.1, (1989)
470 Iowa Admin. Code 7
281 Iowa Admin. Code 11.3 (10)- (11), 11.4 (13).S.F. 2201
R.R. 1 501.32 Open Enrollment Transfers
OPEN ENROLLMENT APPEAL PROCESS
Unless the application for open enrollment claims harassment or if the child has a serious health condition that the resident district cannot adequately address, all appeals must be made to an Iowa District Court. Appeals should be filed in district court in the county in which the resident district’s administrative office is located.
The State Board of Education does not hear appeals unless one of the following claims was made as a basis for good cause:
- Child has a serious health condition (see page 6 of State Board of Education Open Enrollment Handbook for description).
- Child has experienced pervasive harassment (see page 5 of State Board of Education Open Enrollment Handbook for description).
If the application is denied by the resident district for either of these reasons, the parent / guardian may appeal to the local board of directors. If an application is denied by the local board of directors, the applicant may appeal to the State Board of Education. The appeal should be addressed to: Administrative Law Judge, Department of Education, Grimes State Office Building, 400 East 14th Street, Des Moines, IA 50319-0146. The letter of appeal must be postmarked within 30 days of the board decision.
The appeal letter must contain the following information:
- Name, address, and daytime phone number of the person appealing
- Name and grade level of child/children involved in the appeal (in case of expulsion, open enrollment, suspension, etc.)
- Name of the school district making the board decision that is being appealed
- Date the local board decision was made
- Brief statement of reasons why the decision is being appealed
- Notarized signature of the person appealing the decision
- Other information may be included if desired.
October 17, 2016