801.11 Budget Determination Policy
It is the policy of the District that the budget determination process involve the community in an open and substantive manner. In order to ensure that the citizens of the District are informed of the issues and recommendations presented concerning budget changes and implementation, open meetings shall be scheduled with adequate notice to the community.
The Board is committed to the free and open exchange of ideas, comments, criticisms, and suggestions concerning budget determination and, therefore, shall adhere to the following procedure:
- Open meetings concerning the budget determination process shall be held to review the budget and financial status of the District.
- The initial meeting of the final budget determination process shall be held no later than March of each year. The Superintendent shall present initial recommendations concerning the proposed budget for the next fiscal year. Time will be allotted for the public to discuss the recommendations during the meeting.
- The Superintendent's initial recommendations will be provided to the Board and to the public at least three (3) days prior to the meeting and may be obtained at the administrative office during normal working hours or may be viewed at ankenyschools.org>School Board>Agenda.
- After the Superintendent's initial recommendations have been made, an open meeting concerning budget determinations shall be held each year. Time will be allotted for the public to present and discuss issues related to the budget proposal. Recommendations concerning alternative changes in the budget would be appropriate and welcome.
- After the meetings described in paragraphs 2 and 4, the Board may consider additional recommendations resultingfrom the meetings and the collective bargaining process.
- Prior to April 15, the Board shall meet to adopt the budget and such recommendations as necessary for implementation of the budget. At this meeting, the Superintendent shall present final recommendations concerning the proposed budget for the next fiscal year. Time will be allotted for public comment on the final recommendations.
October 15, 1984
August 18, 2003
November 20, 1995