Per Iowa Code 282.18 open enrolling is a process that allows parents/guardians residing in an Iowa school district the option of enrolling their children into another Iowa school district. There are two deadlines (March 1 and September 1) that must be kept in mind when considering applying for open enrollment.
- March 1: Deadline for regular open enrollment applications for the upcoming school year. There may be exceptions to the March 1 deadline which are based on “good cause.”
- September 1: Deadline for prospective kindergarten students.
The Board of Education will continue to evaluate annually open enrollment policies. Open enrollment into the district is governed by:
- Iowa Code 282.18
- Board Policy 501.31 – Open Enrollment Transfers Into the District
- Board Policy 501.32 – Open Enrollment Transfers Out of the District
- Board Policy 501.33 – Student Building Assignments
- Board Policy 606.06 – Insufficient Classroom Space
Some have asked, “Why is Ankeny opening enrollment at this time of rapid growth?” By Iowa state statute, unless Ankeny Community Schools can show insufficient classroom space, the district must allow open enrollment into the district.
It should be noted, however, that state laws allow growing school districts to reserve a certain amount of existing open seats for projected growth. Ankeny School Board policies now account for this allowance, and a percentage of seats is to be reserved for growth.