On January 11, the 89th Iowa General Assembly convened. Parents in Ankeny often express their interest in supporting the school district.
The top priorities as they relate to Ankeny:
- Opposes Senate Study Bill 1065 – Governor’s School Choice Omnibus Bill
- On February 6, 2021, the Ankeny Board of Education passed a resolution regarding Senate Study Bill 1065. Please view the full resolution here.
- Opposes unfunded mandates.
- Supports continued progress in the development of rigorous content standards and benchmarks, consistent with the Iowa Core Curriculum, focused on improving student achievement, including the following state actions:
- Provide technical assistance to help districts fully implement the CCS
- Develop or obtain high-quality summative and formative assessment, aligned to the skills students should know and be able to do to succeed in the 21st century.
- Support research-based professional development that provides educators with the training, support and time to work together so that they can successfully teach a rigorous curriculum to all students.
- Include and fund all the components of successful standards systems: assessments aligned to high expectations, improved and aligned instruction and quality professional development.
- Supports preserving the integrity of the statewide penny sales tax for school infrastructure, including the tax equity provisions of buying down the highest additional levy rates to the state average.
- Supports a school foundation formula that adequately and timely funds changes in demographics, including declining and increasing enrollment challenges.
- Supports full and complete funding of allowable growth.
One way to help is to advocate for pro-education legislation. While many areas have an impact on the school district, the Iowa Association of School Boards compiled legislative priorities due to the effect they have on our resources.
In October 2020, the Ankeny Board of Education adopted the Iowa Association of School Board’s Legislative Platform. These resources further explain these issues and their impact to our district. Our hope in providing this information is to assist our citizens in participating in informed conversations with our legislators. Ultimately, strong education legislation will assist us in our goal of preparing all learners for a lifetime of personal success.
Thank you for advocating for all students in our community.
Contact Your Legislators
You can call, write, email or post a message on social media directed to your elected officials regarding the legislative priorities.
Ankeny legislators can be reached in the following ways:
State Senator Jack Whitver
4019 NE Bellagio Circle
Ankeny, IA 50021
State Representative John Landon
2905 NE Trilein Dr.
Ankeny, IA 50021
State Representative Garrett Gobble
510 SW Westlawn Drive
Ankeny, IA 50023
We appreciate the work our legislators do on behalf of our students. They are our greatest advocates at the statehouse this upcoming legislative session.