Competent Private Instruction (CPI)
Competent Private Instruction (CPI) is private instruction to a child in Iowa. “Private Instruction” means instruction using a plan and course of study in a setting other than a public school district or accredited nonpublic school. The PI category includes both home schooled children and those in non-accredited nonpublic schools.
Ankeny Community School District is committed to providing support for parents wishing to home school their children.
For families who want to dual enroll their child with a public school, usually for the purpose of attending one or more classes or extracurriculuar activities offered by the district.
- A child under dual enrollment may participate in academic programs or extracurricular activities on the same basis as any regularly enrolled student. A child is also eligible to receive AEA services on the same basis as a regularly enrolled student.
- The parent/guardian may not use dual enrollment to enroll a child in all courses but one. A child must receive at least 1/4 of the child’s instruction by way of CPI and no more than 3/4 by way of the district’s academic programs. If a child is in 11th or 12th grade, they may also chose to dual enroll in post-secondary enrollment option courses.
- The parent/guardian shall not be required to pay the costs of the child’s annual assessment.
- A student may open enroll to another district and then dual enroll in the receiving district. The parent/guardian needs to follow the usual procedures of the open enrollment law.
Independent Private Instruction
- For families who have chosen to homeschool their children independently.
- For families who have chosen to enroll their children in a non-accredited school.
Ankeny Community School District does not offer a Home School Assistance Program (HSAP).
Enrollment in Home Schooling
To ensure that your student is enrolled, fill out and submit the form below to Ankeny District Office at 406 SW School Street. This form is due by September 1st; or, within 14 calendar days after the last day of enrollment in a public school.
If electing to Dual Enroll, please also submit an Ankeny Schools online registration form.
The district may charge a fee to a dual enrolled child if a fee is also charged for the same item or service to a regularly enrolled child. View the fee schedule.