School Board Vacancy Information
The Ankeny Board of Education would like to invite individuals interested in filling the vacancy on the school board to submit their interest for consideration. If you are interested in learning more or requesting to be considered to fill the vacancy, please send the board your questions or letter of interest here.
For more information about serving on the school board, see the Standards for Successful School Boards from the Iowa Association of School Boards and the Requirements for Ankeny School Board Directors below:
Standards for Successful School Boards
According to the Iowa Association of School Boards, below are the six standards for successful school boards:
- Visionary Team: Operate as a visionary governance team in partnership with the superintendent.
- Student Learning: Provide effective leadership for quality instruction and high, equitable student learning.
- District Culture: Foster a culture that enables excellence and innovation.
- Policy & Legal: Lead through sound policy, ensuring transparent, ethical, legal operations.
- Fiscal Responsibility: Sustain and enhance district resources through planning and fiduciary oversight.
- Advocacy: Advocate for public education and the needs of Iowa students.
Requirements of Ankeny School Board Directors:
- Members of the Ankeny Board of Education are elected at large for four-year voluntary terms. The current vacancy needs to be filled through 2025.
- The Board of Education follows a governance model. In this process, the Board gives direction to the school district as to their priorities and goals, and the administration then develops the best procedures and practices to fulfill those goals.
- The Board meets on the first and third Monday of each month at 6 p.m. School Board members also sit on a number of committees that advise the district in areas of policy, curriculum & instruction, and planning.