State Code states that students in Kindergarten through 9th grade who live more than two miles from their school and 10th through 12th grade students who live more than three miles from their school qualify for free bus transportation. Pay-To-Ride transportation services are for those students who do not qualify for free transportation under the state code. If you are unsure if your address qualifies for free transportation, please use the address lookup tool on the district website. Pay-To-Ride services have limited availability and the district encourages families to have a secondary transportation plan in place (in the 2022-23 school year, 81 of 279 requests were accepted).
July 1 – July 17: Open Request
Interested families can submit a request for Pay-To-Ride via the district’s fee payment system, TouchBase. This request does not guarantee Pay-To-Ride eligibility. Students who Pay-To-Ride will be added to already established bus routes. The request process allows for the District and First Student to determine if space is available for students requesting Pay-To-Ride on the bus routes established for the new school year. New bus routes will not be added.
- Click here to request a Pay-To-Ride spot via TouchBase – instructions are available if you need assistance.
- If you are unable to access TouchBase from your home, please contact the Ankeny Schools District Office at 515-965-9604 to set up an appointment to complete the application at the District Office – 406 SW School Street.
- Please note – if a student has an outstanding balance in their TouchBase account, they will be unable to complete the open request process. If the fee is not paid within six weeks of the start of ridership, the student will no longer be eligible for Pay-To-Ride.
July 18 – July 27: Feasibility Processing and Communication
First Student will determine the feasibility for each request, based on capacity of established routes and timing of established routes. First Student will communicate the feasibility for each student to families by the end of the day on August 8. For students who are added for Pay-To-Ride, transportation information will be added to the Infinite Campus Parent Portal account.
Students will be assessed a fee of $490.00 for round-trip or $245.00 for one-way transportation for the 2023-2024 school year. The fee will be assessed based on the information completed by the parent/guardian in the Pay-To-ride request form, and once First Student confirms the route the fee cannot be changed. Pay-To-Ride fees will follow a similar refund schedule as the annual Textbook Rental:
- Student enters at beginning of year and rides all year: charge full amount/no refund.
- Student enters at beginning of year and leaves anytime in first semester: charge full amount/refund 50%.
- Student enters at beginning of year and leaves anytime in second semester: charge full amount/no refund.
- Student enters anytime first semester: charge 100%.
- Student enters anytime second semester: charge 50%.
An email will be generated from email@example.com for payment due upon receipt. Payments can be made online through TouchBase, in person at the district office, or the office at your student’s school building. Checks may also be mailed to 406 SW School St, Ankeny IA 50023.