School board members sit on a number of committees which advise the district in areas of policy, curriculum & instruction and planning, and for which agendas and meetings are posted. These committees may be made up of parents, members of the community, faculty, administration, and in most cases, members of the Board. All sessions for the following committees are open to the public, but public input is not generally solicited during committee meetings.
- Facilities/Finance Advisory Committee
- Orbis Leadership Team
- Policy Advisory Committee
- Professional Development Committee
- School Improvement Advisory Council (SIAC)
Administrative Committees with Board Representation
The following committees include representation from the Board of Education. Board members attend, participate in meetings, and provide reports to the Ankeny Board of Education. These meetings do not, however, require a posted agenda and are not necessarily open to the public.
- Ankeny Schools Foundation Committee – This committee supports and enhances educational opportunities in the school district. The Foundation is the only community volunteer organization that serves all schools in the District and provides a way for the community to support all educators, volunteers, and students. Through the yearly grant program, funds are available to students, teachers, and organizations to provide educational opportunities not funded from the school district budget. The Foundation Awards Committee determines the distribution of awards based on academic quality and need.
- Meets at 5:00 p.m. on the last Thursday of every month.
- Board Representation: Amy Tagliareni, Ryan Weldon
- Calendar Committee – This committee discusses the calendar survey and potential changes to the District’s calendar. The calendar recommended by the committee is presented to the Board of Directors for approval. This agenda item is scheduled for December 7, 2020. The committee plans to convene at the beginning of next year to discuss the 21-22 calendar.
- Board Representative: Aaron Johnson
- Equity Committee – This committee ensures that there are not obstacles attributable to equity standing in the way of every student being educated for a lifetime of personal success.
- Meets 4x per year. Meetings currently suspended
- Board Representation: Deshara Bohanna, Jim Ford
- ORBIS Leadership Team – The Orbis Leadership Team serves multiple purposes, providing input on college and career readiness in our PK-12 District (per legislative requirements of HF2392), including input on our district plan, Orbis Programming, and our K-12 counseling program.
- Meets 4 x per school year, with two additional ad hoc meetings.
- Board Representation: Amy Tagliareni, Ryan Weldon, Jim Ford
- School – City Advisory Committee
- Meets 3 x per year at 7:00 AM, alternating between the District Office and City Council. Date TBD
- Board Representation: Aaron Johnson, Amy Tagliareni
- School Improvement Advisory Council (SIAC) – The SIAC serves in an advisory capacity to provide feedback to the District in key areas including but not limited to school improvement efforts, educational needs, student learning goals, and bullying prevention.
- Meets from 6:00-7:30 pm, 5 x per year, via Webex.
- Board Representation: Katie Claeys, Jim Ford
- Superintendent’s Advisory Committee – This committee meets to discuss systematic issues and focuses on a wide variety of topics.
- Meets 2-3 x per year
- Board Representation: Aaron Johnson, Katie Claeys