Our district has two teams dedicated to our equity work. The diversity, equity, and inclusion leadership team (DEILT) is our internal team and the equity committee is our external team. Read more on what each of these teams do below.
Ankeny Schools is excited to share with our community the launch of our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Leadership Team (DEILT), a core group of District employees who come together to support the District in making thoughtful, but urgent, progress toward our mission to prepare every learner for a lifetime of personal success.
The DEILT’s purpose is to promote opportunities for the District to deepen its commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI), and to provide support across the district related to the integration of DEI into all aspects of the Ankeny Community School District.
The DEILT will focus on strategies to eliminate racism, sexism, ableism, classism, homophobia and other systemic oppressions. Furthermore, this team will help advise other departments on DEI and help them progress towards their DEI goals.
The purpose of the external Equity Committee is to give feedback and provide perspective about the needs of individuals and groups in our community to ensure equity and inclusion for all in the school community. The equity committee will serve as an advisory committee the District Director of Equity and DEI Leadership Team.
The charge of this committee will be as follows:
- Serve as lay/community resource persons to support the district’s development and implementation of the multicultural/gender fair education and equal employment opportunity/affirmative action plans.
- Relay non-confidential information on school educational and employment equity activities to community at large.
- Review District programs and employment policies and practices to assess the degree to which they promote DEI concepts.
- Strengthen inter-group relations within the community as well as to foster positive inter-group understanding and skills among students, employees, and the community.
- Provide support for the school district’s DEI plan.