Teacher Leadership (TLC)
Iowa Teacher Leadership and Compensation
Improving student learning requires improving the instruction students receive each day. The best way to do this is to empower teachers to lead learning and improvements across the system.
Teacher leaders will have multiple and varied opportunities to take on extra responsibilities, including helping colleagues analyze data and fine tune instructional strategies as well as coaching and co-teaching.
Teacher Leadership Goals in Ankeny
- Provide opportunities for teachers to seek career enhancement through leadership positions.
- Strengthen assessment and instructional practices to increase student achievement.
- Develop professional learning opportunities for teachers and teacher leaders.
- Provide opportunities for teachers to collaborate and observe one another.
Overall Monitoring of Effectiveness:
- Determine if a years growth has been made, specifically in reading and math, as a result of the TLC plan.
- Monitor presence of classroom implementation of the research-based instructional strategies advocated through embedded professional learning with teacher leadership roles.
- Discern teachers’ perceptions regarding the effectiveness of the TLC plan in improving research-based instructional practices.
TLC Teacher Guidelines
- TLC Teachers may not be used for substitute vacancies within the building unless approved by Human Resources.
- TLC Teachers may not replace classroom teacher to administer assessments:
- IA Assessment, CogAT, etc.
- District Assessments
- Common formative assessments
- Classroom-based formative assessments
- TLC Teachers may be used for PLC’s to develop purposeful formative assessments to guide instruction and/or review data.
- TLC Teachers may be used for individual/PLC to observe instructional strategies and/or goals aligned to Ankeny mission/vision.
- Buildings will receive an allotment of time per year to use TLC Teachers. Days will be scheduled prior to the beginning of each school year. This allotment is based on K-12 student enrollment.
- Mentor/Mentee observations is not included in the building allocated time. These observation requests will be scheduled through the Instructional Coach and approved by the Coordinator of Mentoring, Induction & TLC.
TLC Teachers ensure a learning-focused classroom while the classroom teacher is provided the opportunity to engage in professional learning.
TEACHER LEADERSHIP ROLES
- Instructional Leadership Team Member (ILT)
- Building Mentor Leaders (BML)
- District Mentoring & Induction Coach
- Instructional Coach – Building Level
- District Technology Instructional Coach
- District Special Education Instructional Coach
- Building Tech Integrationist
- Supervising Teacher – student teacher, practicum students, observation students