COVID-19 Positive Case Communication Process
As a result of the Iowa Department of Public Health’s recent update to its guidance on close contacts and face coverings, Ankeny Schools has updated its communication protocols for positive COVID-19 cases.
If a confirmed case of COVID-19 has been reported in your child’s classroom or activity, and, through the case investigation, the Polk County Health Department determines that your child had close contact with the person who tested positive, you will receive:
- An email notifying you that your child was a close contact, but due to the nature of your child’s contact, they are NOT required to quarantine, OR
- An email with a letter from Polk County Health Department notifying you that your child was a close contact and guidance that, due to the nature of the close contact, your child WILL be required to quarantine.
- The Iowa Department of Public Health Guidance on “When to Quarantine” can be found here.
Because these quarantines will now be determined by the individual’s proper use of an approved face covering, we want to remind you:
- Face coverings or masks should meet CDC Guidelines. Gaiters do not meet CDC recommendations for an approved face covering.
- Please view the CDC’s guidance on the proper use of masks here.
At all steps in this process, we will work to balance the privacy of the students and employees in our district with the public health needs of our community. For this reason, we will not be able to provide additional information beyond what is required by public health officials. We appreciate your understanding and the respect we know you will show for the other children and adults in our school community.